Military and Veterans Initiative -- Resources
Resources and Related Links
Read about important information, resources and issues affecting veterans.
- America Supports You
Easter Seals is now a proud participant in the America Supports You initiative. Launched by the Department of Defense to recognize citizens' support for military men and women at home and abroad, America Supports You connects individuals, organizations and companies to hundreds of homefront groups offering a variety of support to the military community.
- Military HOMEFRONT
Military HOMEFRONT is the official Department of Defense Web site for quality of life information designed to help troops and their families, leaders and service providers.
- Military OneSource
Military OneSource enables the Defense Department (DOD) to provide "one stop" assistance, via the Internet or a toll-free telephone number, to families and service members from all the armed forces with any kind of problem.
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides patient care and federal benefits to veterans, family members or survivors of veterans.
- National Military Family Association
Easter Seals has partnered with the National Military Family Association to host week-long Operation Purple experiences for children of deployed parents at five Easter Seals affliate camp sites. Later this year, the partnership will stage Operation Purple Healing Adventure for veterans with disabilities and their families at Easter Seals Camp ASCCA in Alabama.
- Honoring the Call to Duty: Veterans' Disability Benefits in the 21st Century, Veterans Disability Benefits Commission, October 2007.
- Invisible Wounds of War: Psychological and Cognitive Injuries, Their Consequences, and Services to Assist Recovery, Center for Military Health Policy Research, a joint endeavor of Rand Health and Rand National Security Research Division, 2008.
- VA Benefits & Health Care Utilization, Department of Veterans Affairs, January 2008. (PDF *)
- A Summary of VA Benefits for National Guard and Reserve Personnel, Department of Defense Deployment Health Support Directive and Department of Veterans Affairs, April 2007. (This links to the VA's Web site for publications where you can download a PDF copy of the Benefits for National Guard and Reserve Personnel brochure.)
- The Wounded Heroes Foundation assists the severely injured men and women of our Armed Forces who served in Iraq, Afghanistan and around the world.
- SALUTE, INC. passionately pursues meeting the financial, physical and emotional needs of military service members, veterans and their families.
- Warrior Gateway establishes a single capability that serves as a trusted and reliable resource for the military community to quickly locate service organizations that satisfy their needs, identify academic programs they are interested in and easily find employers seeking their valuable skills.
- The Hadley School for the Blind’s Blinded Veterans Initiative (PDF *)
The goal is to educate and inspire blind or visually impaired veterans—through 100+ distance education courses—to pursue their personal and professional goals and help support their families.
*This document is in the Adobe PDF format. You will need to download free Adobe Acrobat Reader software to view these documents. If you do not have Acrobat Reader, you can download it for free by clicking on the Adobe graphic below.