The ABCs of Choosing Child Care
When researching child care facilities or talking to caregivers about the best care for your child, Easter Seals suggests checking the following ABCs and short list of questions to help ensure you receive the best child care possible.
A: Accredited Centers
Make sure the center follows the rigorous standards outlined by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
- Is the center licensed?
- Does the center operate according to the NAEYC accreditation guidelines?
- Are caregivers trained and experienced?
- Is the atmosphere bright and welcoming?
- Does the environment appear safe and secure?
- Are children supervised adequately?
- Are parents welcome to visit at will?
B: Belief in Each Child's Ability
Verify that each child receives an appropriate individualized learning plan with equal emphasis on cognitive, social, emotional and physical skills.
- Are children allowed choices for activities and environments?
- Do children seem engaged in stimulating activities?
- Are appropriate therapies available on site?
- Are toys safe, clean and within reach of the children?
C: Committed Teachers
Check to see if the center provides a safe, nurturing environment with trained teachers who encourage and love each child.
- Are children greeted in a loving, respected manner?
- Are there caring, nurturing interactions taking place between caregivers and children?
- Does the staff demonstrate respect for one another and the children?
- Are caregivers trained in CPR and first aid?
- Are caregivers involved in continuing education programs?
- Do caregivers communicate with parents daily?
Easter Seals Child Development Centers answers yes to all of these questions. Easter Seals has almost 20 years of experience in providing affordable inclusive child care — placing children of all physical, emotional and academic abilities in the same learning environment. All Easter Seals centers provide a safe and nurturing setting in which children of all abilities can explore their environments, hone new skills and learn from each other.